7/10/12

Being a Teen

Sometimes I think being a teen blows. 
It always seems like every adult who judges teens can't remember what it was like to be one! And they all have been a teen. But they just can't understand.
(Well actually I guess that's not fair... because I usually can't understand them either. But at least I try, right?)
There are a lot of things I think they get a little wrong. It's like they blow simple things completely out of proportion. Examples.

 I can't stand that every question is deemed sarcastic. Yes I am asking if the place has bathrooms. No, that doesn't mean that I am assuming you're too poor to afford a latrine... I simply have to pee. I am not talking in a sarcasm only language. (Although sarcasm is apart of my way of speaking... it's just as apart of yours.) 
Every time I hang out with my friends everyone assumes we're here to cause trouble. OH NOOOOO! It's a large group of adolescents. Hide your children and give them nasty looks! They obviously aren't trying to have fun or anything! They're here to ruin our way of life!... And we're childish? yea... (And I am not saying all teens are completely well behaved in public.... but I think the group of kids shouting at little kids and bullying the elderly are a tad more threatening then the group looking at domo hats.)  
The respect is only one way. Don't get me wrong. If you don't respect your elders I will slay you. All I am asking is we get a little respect back. I appreciate all you do for me. What about all my work? Even a thank you for doing chores, or babysitting, will make me feel a little less like worthless, hormonal trash. 
Those are the big examples that I think people can agree are fair. Some of us have valid arguments. Just because we call you adults out on something doesn't make us disrespectful. Sometimes we might be out of line... but it wouldn't hurt to hear us out. 


I know an old saying that supports my claims.
"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors. We borrow it from our children" 


I know a lot of adults claim "they would kill to be a student, and be carefree again." But I honestly would rather have a full time job that pays...and work my tailbone off if it means I can be taken seriously and get a little respect.


Thank you. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment