9/6/13

Hello Soldier. For Jamal.

Hello Soldier
by Jasmine Middleton

Hello soldier, it’s been awhile
Since your name used to make me smile.
I remember when you came here in a flurry
Of slurred words, and fear of fury.
We adopted you and I called you my brother.
I feared every day that there would be another.
But childish fear would be resolved
by you.
I swear we were inseparable. Everything was possible.
The world was infinite.
Opulence true.

Hello Soldier, it’s been awhile
Since you flew away with unimpeachable style.
With your blue overcoat,
Your pins,
Your tie.
We knew you were meant to fly.
But dear soldier we missed you,
We prayed and we cried
And when you got back we knew .
Something wasn’t right with you.
You’re button up wrinkled,
Your tie broken and bent,
Much like my heart.
For I knew what it meant.

Hello Soldier.
It has been a while.
Since the fight that tore us
And broke your smile.
I wish I had known that it was you
That I was obviously talking to.
But then it was too late,
You ran, maybe cried.
My brave souled soldier wanted to die.
All because I made a mistake
And like the stake in my heart
I cracked.

Hello. Soldier.
I know it was me.
My fault, my blame
A tangle of grief.
My soldier my soldier I’m glad that you’re safe.
But things between us
Still scream like the wraith
Of what we once were.

Hello soldier,
It’s been a while.
How’s your daughter?
Does she have your smile?
I know how you must feel…
But after the scare
Of the pictures and violence and
Killing out there..
I hope you don’t go anywhere.
Even if only time can mend this tear.

Hello my dear soldier,
My brother, my heart.
I love you. I love you.

I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment